On Mon, 2011-05-09 at 09:44 +0200, Helge Milde wrote:

> Now for my questions:
> 1. How crucial is it to have the S= in the basename when using zlib?
> The wiki page mentions quota problems, which we're not using, but also
> "random failures"...

I'm not entirely sure if there is something in the code that relies on
it being correct.

> 2. Would W= suffice in this regard?

No.

> 3. If S=<size> *is* needed, is there a way to minimize the effect from the
> mail client's perspective?

Yes. Add the ,S=<size> to the dovecot-uidlist files as well, so the UID
doesn't change. If you're using POP3 with UIDLs based on filename you
can also add POP3 UIDLs to dovecot-uidlist with new enough Dovecot
versions.