On 6/27/2011 12:48 PM, Phil Turmel wrote:
In the storage configuration of your VM, where you select the type of interface
to emulate, there's a checkbox for using the Host's I/O cache.

Does VirtualBox uses that to "trick" the guest kernel into not consuming memory for caching?

If you can set aside entire block devices for use in the VM, you can create a vmdk that performs a
1:1 mapping from the virtualized disk to the given block device.  The block device will be
partitionable inside the VM, even if it is a partition itself.  If you need to, you can access
those partitions from the host with the "partx" or "kpartx" utilities (with the
VM shut down, of course).

The command you want is "VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk"
I've done raw access before - but in this case I'm using a single XFS partition on a RAID10 that has multiple directories for various data needs - one of which is the mail store.

--
Daniel