On 2011-06-28 01:58, Timo Sirainen wrote:
On Mon, 2011-06-27 at 14:55 +0200, Peter Mogensen wrote:

How do I get the LMTP-server to know which mailbox's are locally hosted
and return SMTP code 450 if delivery is attempted to a non local user?

You can't, at least that way. Why are you trying to deliver mails to a
non-local mailbox? You could anyway use Dovecot as LMTP proxy to the
remote LMTP server and it would deliver the mail there without an error.

I was wondering if I could skip running a Postfix or other MTA along with dovecot and just let mail be delivered directly to the final host by LMTP. It's no problem to have Postfix do a virtual_mailbox_domains lookup before handing it to local LMTP, but it would be simpler with only Dovecot.

I can see that a lookup in the userdb is done, but now matter what I
return (1/111) from my checkpassword script I just get:

Set lmtp_proxy=yes and have passdb lookup return proxy=y and
host=1.2.3.4.

But how does the LMTP proxy deal with temporary errors? It has no queue like the SMTP-server ?

/Peter