On Sun, 2011-10-09 at 11:31 -0700, Steve Fatula wrote:
> dovecot: lda: Error: userdb lookup: connect(/var/run/dovecot/auth-userdb)
> failed: Permission denied
>

> Using mailbox_command in Postfix means that dovecot-lda is running as the
> system user getting the mail. Which means it can't access the socket file. Of
> course, one can simply use mode 666 on it, but, then people can use it to
> find out information according to the doc, which I do not want.
>
> So, I am not sure why the doc says to add -d for per user quotas, without
> also mentioning the problem with doing that. I don't see how it can work?
>
> Assuming I need per user quotas, and I don't want to use LMTP, is there a
> good way around this without the security issue?

The possibilities are:

a) Start dovecot-lda so that the process belongs to extra group (e.g.
dovecot) and make the socket rw for that group. I don't know if Postfix
can do this for system users..

b) Use filesystem setgid bit for dovecot-lda

c) Run via sudo

The b) and c) are explained in wiki in the "multiple UIDs" section
(although for setuid-root rather than setgid-dovecot).