Quoting David Pottage <da...@electric-spoon.com>:

On 28/12/11 10:39, Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik wrote:
:2011-12-28T10:26:David Pottage:

I solved the problem by creating a second instance of dovecot running on
a non standard port, and configured it to serve only a subset my email
folders, so that way the email client on my smartphone works well and I
can read the emails I am interested in on the move.
Here's a simple improvement.
Create a new email user and symlink just those folders you want to see
into it.
I considered that option but decided against it for two reasons.

Firstly I wanted to retain the option to switch to the full version of
my mail folders if I needed to access something urgently. My smart-phone
based email client allows me to change the port number of an existing
email account, but will not allow me to change the user-name without
creating a whole new account and re-downloading everything.

I read back through the thread, and I don't see why you're not using
IMAP subscriptions - did I overlook it?

Rick