On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 03:49:57PM +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> >> With mdbox the internal separator is '/', but it's not valid to have
> >> "INBOX." prefix then (it should be "INBOX/").
> >
> > But how should this be handled in the migration phase from maildir to
> > mdbox then? Can we have different namespaces for users with maildirs vs.
> > mdboxes? (..or am i misunderstanding something?)
>
> You'll most likely want to keep the '.' separator with mdbox, at least
> initially. Some clients don't like if the separator changes. Perhaps in
> future if you want to allow users to use '.' character in mailbox names you
> could change it, or possibly make it a per-user setting.

Sorry for being so dense, but I don't quite get it still. Do you suggest
dropping the trailing dot from prefix=INBOX. ? I.e.

        namespace {
                inbox = yes
                location =
                prefix = INBOX
                type = private
                separator = .
        }

when we do the migration to mdbox? And this should work without issues
for both current maildir users, and mdbox users ?

Ideally I don't want to use the . as a separator, since it's causing
problems for our users who expect to be able to use them in folder
names. But I don't understand if I can change them without causing
problems to existing users.. or how these problems will appear to the
users.

  -jf