On 1/11/2012 8:01 PM, Nicolas KOWALSKI wrote:
Hello,

On a dovecot 2.0.14 proxy, I found that proxying managesieve works well
when using 'starttls' option in pass_attrs, but does not work when using
'ssl' option. The backend server is also dovecot 2.0.14; when using the
ssl option, it reports "no auth attempts" in the logs about
managesieve-login, and meanwhile the MUA, Thunderbird with sieve plugin,
reports [TRYLATER] account is temporary disabled; no problem when using
starttls option on the proxy, all works well.

I would like to use IMAPs, instead of IMAP+STARTTLS, from proxy to
backend, and have Managesieve still working. Is this supported?

Although there is no such thing as a standard sieveS protocol, you can make Dovecot v2.x talk SSL from the start at a ManageSieve socket. Since normally people will not use something like this, it is not available by default.

In conf.d/20-managesieve.conf you can adjust the service definition of ManageSieve as follows:

service managesieve-login {
  inet_listener sieve {
    port = 4190
  }

  inet_listener sieves {
    port = 5190
    ssl = yes
  }
}

This starts the normal protocol on port 4190 and the direct-SSL version on an alternative port. You can also put the ssl=yes directly in the port 4190 listener, as long as no client will have to connect to this server directly (no client will support it).

Regards,

Stephan.