On Mon, 30 Jan 2012, dovecot-requ...@dovecot.org wrote:

So, I was thinking about adding doveadm commands to explicitly tell
Dovecot about the mountpoints that it needs to care about.  When no
mountpoints are defined Dovecot would behave as it does now.

Maybe I don't understand the subtlety of your question, but are you
trying to disambiguate between a mounted filesytem and a failed mount
that presents the underlying filesystem (which looks like an uninitilized
index directory)?

Couldn't you write some cookie file "/mount/.../dovecot-data-root/.dovemount",
whose existence will tell you whether the FS is mounted without trying to
find the mount root.

Oh, but then again if you have per-user mounts, that's going to get messy.

Joseph Tam <jtam.h...@gmail.com>