On 25.4.2012, at 21.30, David Warden wrote:

>>> Apr 25 09:56:26 wardentest3 dovecot: service=indexer-worker user=warden
>>> rip= Error: open(/proc/self/io) failed: Permission
>>
>> Does the attached patch fix it?
>
> The error is still logged, but is that intentional on your part? It looks
> like the patch logs the failure to open() when the error returned is anything
> other than ENOENT and in my case the error is EACCESS. Other than that it
> looks like it correctly disables accessing that file.

The patch intended to open the /proc/self/io immediately at startup while still
running as root.

Anyway, now that I'm testing it again myself, I see that it's supposed to work
even without the patch, because /proc/self/io's permissions change after
seteuid().

I noticed similar errors happening somewhat randomly in another CentOS 6.2
system. Changing the kernel fixed it. (Downgrading at least worked, possibly
upgrading might also.)