On 29/05/2012 15:18, Alan Brown wrote:

This is something Timo hacked up for me a few years ago and I realised should be on the list in case anyone else wants them.

The following patches will limit maildir folders to 4000 messages on Dovecot 2.0.* and 2.1.*

The Specfile patch is against the Cityfan Redhat EL5 SRPM but is likely to work on most build platforms

Changing the message limit requires a recompile. It's brutal and ugly but it prevents users overloading FSes that can't cope with huge numbers of files (EG: GFS2)

Hi, sorry for the dumb question, but isn't there already in Dovecot a way to limit the number of messages?

Something like:

quota_rule = *:messages=4000

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Quota/Configuration

Or it's something different?