El 08/06/12 18:43, Timo Sirainen escribió:
On 8.6.2012, at 19.33, Reindl Harald wrote:

Yes, but like the wiki page also says, it's not a good idea increase
client_limit for imap/pop3 processes.

depends on the usecase / workload

having dovecot as proxy for other imap-backends and 1 process per connection
will heavily raise up process-count and memory-overhead while memory
may be needed for the imap-backend (like dbmail) and datanases

process_limit                = 15
client_limit                 = 300

this way you can have 4500 proxy-connections and use most time
not more than 4-5 processes

Proxying is done by imap-login process, not imap process. For login processes
there are different recommendations.

What are those recommendations? The ones at http://wiki2.dovecot.org/LoginProcess?

Let's suppose... I have 4 mainly imap backend servers (but they admit also pop3 connections) with a process_limit of 5120 for service imap (and default_client_limit of 1000 applied to pop3). And I have 2 director servers (configured as active-active behind a load balancer), so I need director servers to handle (more or less) 10240 imap connections.

What is it better for the director's? Increasing process_limit for imap-login (so each process should handle less connections) or increasing client_limit (less processes handling more connections each)?