On 24.6.2012, at 18.57, Reinhard Vicinus wrote:

> i try to migrate mails from a non dovecot imap server to a dovecot imap
> server with doveadm backup as described there:
>
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Migration/Dsync
>
> i first tried (local-mailbox port 18143 is the non dovecot imap server):
>
> /usr/bin/doveadm -o imapc_user=u...@example.org -o imapc_password=imappw -o
> imapc_host=local-mailbox -o imapc_features=rfc822.size -o imapc_port=18143 -o
> mailbox_list_index=no -v -D backup -R -f -u u...@example.org -m Sent imapc:
>
> and got the following error:
>
> dsync(u...@example.org): Fatal: dsync backup: Looks like you're trying to run
> backup in wrong direction. Source is empty and destination is not.

Strange. -R is supposed to make it copy from imapc to mdbox.. Have you tried if
Dovecot can see mails at all from the remote server? Try doveadm -o mail=imapc:
-o ... fetch instead of doveadm backup command.

> As the dovecot imap account is newly created and therefore empty it seams to
> try to backup from the dovecot imap server to the non dovecot imap server. So
> i tried instead:
>
> /usr/bin/doveadm -o imapc_user=u...@example.org -o imapc_password=imappw -o
> imapc_host=local-mailbox -o imapc_features=rfc822.size -o imapc_port=18143 -o
> mailbox_list_index=no -v -D backup -f -u u...@example.org -m Sent imapc:

Now this is copying from mdbox to imapc, which is also why you're getting the
crash:

> Sometimes (every other time?) i got the following segmentation fault:
>
> bt
> #0  0x00007f15e2c9ed74 in strcasecmp () from /lib/libc.so.6
> #1  0x00007f15e327eaff in imapc_save_callback (reply=0x7fff56096a70,
> context=<value optimized out>) at imapc-save.c:168

Note how it's saving a mail to imapc. But still, that's a bug, fixed:
http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.1/rev/20703dbd1168

> dsync(u...@example.org): Warning: Destination mailbox Sent has been modified,
> need to recreate it before we can continue syncing

I think this is also because it's going to wrong direction.

> i think the problem could be that the account name on the remote server and
> the local server is absolute identical and doveadm backup has therefore
> problems discerning between the two locations. But that's only a stab in the
> dark and any help is appreciated.

Shouldn't be a problem.