On Tue, 10 Jul 2012, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

On 7/10/2012 2:24 AM, Federico Bianchi wrote:

Is it possible to have mail_max_userip set to a value for localhost
(webmail) and to another value for everything else?

mail_max_userip as the name suggests is a per user IMAP socket
connection limit.  So you should be able to set it to one value that
satisfies the requirements of both the webmail app and your various MUAs.

For instance, Thunderbird opens 5 connections by default last I checked.
Say your webmail app or IMAP proxy between webmail and Dovecot makes
one connection per user.  Setting mail_max_userip to 6 should allow a
user to simultaneously connect from both TBird and webmail without
causing problems.

Is this the type of problem you're trying to solve, or is it not this
but something related?

Something like that: we have users connecting from desktop PCs in the office, mobile and webmail (from xDSL IPs at home) simultaneously. Of course, they should close Thunderbird (or Apple Mail, or whatever) at work when they go home - but your solution might be OK in that respect as well.

Best regards

                        Federico Bianchi
                        Dipartimento di Storia delle Arti
                        Universita` di Pisa
                        via Trieste, 38 - I-56126 Pisa (Italy)
                        tel.(+39) 050 221 6 024; fax (+39) 050 221 6 001
                        e-mail: <f.bian...@arte.unipi.it>
                        !DISCLAIMER!: my e-mail reflects _my_own_ opinions!