Op 8/22/2012 8:56 AM, David Anderson schreef:

Self-explanatory, I hope (note the period on the end of the username); sieve/pigeonhole does not allow you to have senders which end with a period, which means that any UNIX users with such usernames who send mail have it rejected by sieve:

# useradd testuser.
# su - testuser.
$ mail da...@example.com -s 'testing'
123
.
[testuser.@levi ~]$ logout

# less /var/log/maillog

Aug 22 07:50:56 levi dovecot: lda(da...@example.com): Error: sieve: envelope sender address 'testus...@myhost.example.com' is unparsable

Versions:
dovecot-pigeonhole-0.2.6-21.el5
dovecot-managesieve-0.2.6-21.el5
dovecot-2.0.18-1_134.el5

Why would anyone have a UNIX username ending in a period? For one, web hosting companies may use your domain name as your username - but be subject to a 32-character limit, so your domain name gets truncated.

I would have expected to see that address escaped as "testuser."@myhost.example.com. I notice that I haven't tested such addresses much with Sieve and I don't actually know in what form MTAs provide such addresses to the LDA. I'll give that a look soon.

Regards,

Stephan.