On 2012-09-05 10:36 PM, Stan Hoeppner <s...@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
He'd already checked the server logs, posted some of them, and found no useful information. Checking the client log is the next logical step, whether it turns out to contain useful information or not. In a client/server application, instructing someone to only check half the logs is bad advice Charles. Useful troubleshooting information can be found in either, or both, depending on the circumstances and operation that's failing.

That's what I get for replying in the middle of a thread without reading the whole thing... sorry...

Been really busy at $dayjob, and haven't had time to read the lists I'm on for a couple of weeks now.

And I didn't advise him to *only* check half the logs, I thought he was *starting out* with the client logs. Of course you're correct that once he'd determined that no auth attempts were happening, checking the client side is the next logical step.

But then someone else suggested that it was just because Thunderbird was crapware, which is just plain stupid. If Thunderbird isn't AUTH'ing, it is a config (thus, user) error.

--

Best regards,

Charles