Uh..

On 13.11.2012, at 1.02, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On 13.11.2012, at 0.44, Robin wrote:
>
>> On 11/11/2012 5:26 PM, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
>>> Have you made systematic tests? I.e. compared times for all of these
>>> with those from the different dovecot backends.
>>
>> The choice of Dovecot backends made no substantial difference.  I used
>> maildir, sdbox, and mdbox.  I also added SiS (with mdbox).  Initial tests
>> were on local multi-spindle RAID5 storage,
>
> With local disks the tests often measure only the local RAM/CPU speed, unless
> you're testing thousands of users.

..measuring disk I/O most importantly.

>> but to handicap Dovecot, I pushed it over NFS (also Linux 3.2 on a local
>> GigE segment).  It wasn't slow enough to make dbmail competitive, even
>> though you have to start turning off performance optimisation features in
>> Dovecot to avoid NFS bugs.
>
> NFS makes a better test case if you're measuring single user performance.
> Much of it is probably due to the index file access latency, although not
> all. In some cases Dovecot's prefetching mails can help (maildir, sdbox
> backends with local disks currently, nothing preventing it from working in
> other use cases though, even with Dovecot-SQL backend).

Prefetching is done only with mail_prefetch_count setting. Someone in
blog.dovecot.org mentioned that it was bad for performance with local
disk+maildir. Linux apparently doesn't do this with NFS. It would of course be
possible to just have the prefetching create a new thread/process to download
the mail locally and read it (similar to what the object storage plugin does).