On 16.11.2012, at 12.11, Angel L. Mateo wrote:

>       We are deploying shared mailboxes in our mail system. We are running
> 2.1.9 and mail backend is maildir.
>
>       As described at http://wiki.dovecot.org/SharedMailboxes/Shared when
> shared namespace is configured as
>
> namespace shared {
>  separator = /
>  prefix = shared/%%u/
>  location = maildir:%%h/Maildir:INDEX=~/Maildir/shared/%%u
>  subscriptions = no
>  list = children
> }
>
>       each user accessing this folder has its own index, stored in
> ~/Maildir/shared/%%u/<shared mailbox>, hasn't it?

Right.

>       Our mail is store in NFS disks so we are very concerned about indexes
> optimizations (we had performance problems until we got all of our indexes
> and nfs tunned). So, is there any way so those indexes could be shared for
> all users (and they always would be updated).

If you don't need per-user flags you can just remove the per-user INDEX. If you
want per-user flags and want to share indexes, you need the new INDEXPVT option
that exists in v2.2 or as a patch to v2.1:
http://dovecot.org/patches/2.1/private-index.diff

>       Regarding this... if we'd use dbox instead of maildir, indexes are a
> really important part of the mailbox and they can't be re-constructed when
> they are outdated. So, how do shared mailboxes work with dbox backend? Do I
> have to configure indexes in any particular way?

INDEXPVT is a requirement with dbox if you want per-user flags.

BTW. Do you have multiple Dovecot backend servers? Director works only when
you're not using shared mailboxes..