Noel Butler writes:

I build from sources all key daemon software anyway, package maintainers
can only account for so many configurations. Its not so critical with
dovecot now since v2, because, regrettably, Timo removed a lot of fine
tune config options that allowed us to only build in what we wanted,
now, tuff, most the auth methods and stuff must be built even if we dont
want them.

That hasn't been my experience, but maybe because the non-optional stuff
are what I need.  For example, my configure for v2.1.x summarizes

        Install prefix . : /opt/dovecot
        File offsets ... : 64bit
        I/O polling .... : poll
        I/O notifys .... : none
        SSL ............ : yes (OpenSSL)
        GSSAPI ......... : no
        passdbs ........ : static passwd passwd-file checkpassword
                         : -shadow -pam -bsdauth -sia -ldap -sql -vpopmail
        userdbs ........ : static prefetch passwd passwd-file checkpassword
                         : -ldap -sql -vpopmail -nss
        SQL drivers .... :
                         : -pgsql -mysql -sqlite
        Full text search : squat
                         : -lucene -solr

A few auth methods, which even if you don't use, is a nice fallback for
exceptions or niche caches, no dbs, one mandatory text search method.

Joseph Tam <jtam.h...@gmail.com>