On Wed, 12 Sep 2012, Gábor Lénárt wrote:

Below, there is a similiar question, with identical prerequisites.

Is there a way to get the "effective" information about an user with all default values? For instance, I get:

# /usr/local/dovecot-2.1.12/bin/doveadm user  dvtest1
userdb: dvtest1
  home      : /home/dvtest1
  quota_rule: *:bytes=7721225472
  quota_rule2: Trash:bytes=+7745728
# /usr/local/dovecot-2.1.12/bin/doveadm user  dvtest2
userdb: dvtest2
  home      : /home/dvtest2
  quota_rule: *:bytes=307200
  quota_rule2: Trash:bytes=+30720
# /usr/local/dovecot-2.1.12/bin/doveadm user -m dvtest1
field   value
uid     vmail
gid     vmail
home    /home/dvtest1
mail

dvtest1 has quota_rule and quota_rule2 in LDAP, dvtest2 has not, but defaults are shown. Neither of them shows the default mail_location in "user -m", but the default uid/gid vmail/vmail. Using IMAP a.s.o. both users work correctly.

Is there a "user -m" variant on the userdb socket? Via socket I get:
USER 1 dvtest1 home=/home/dvtest1 quota_rule=*:bytes=7721225472 quota_rule2=Trash:bytes=+7745728

Looking into doveadm-auth.c, the paths of "user" and "user -m" are quite different, so I guess not.

===========

I'm about getting to know dovecot in details, I am about the command
"doveadm user". The man page shows this example:

userdb: jane
        uid       : 8001
        gid       : 8001
        home      : /home/jane
        mail      : sdbox:~/sdbox
        plugins   : sieve
        quota_rule: *:storage=150M

What I guess that the lack of extra information (which would be needed by
some scripts of mine, eg for getting user's home easily from shell scripts,
as it's hash based, etc) is caused because I don't pass home (and/or other
settings) back from userdb and/or passdb.

However I do have these in global scope:

mail_home = /mailstorage/%Ld/%Ln
(yes, this is not hashed at all at the momement but it will be soon)
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
mail_uid = vmail
mail_gid = vmail
(... and also some global quota stuffs configured in plugin section)

Now, I am a bit confused: even with passdb/userdb does not return with user
home or GID/UID, dovecot knows these in case of pop3/imap/lmtp access, since
these information can be "composed" from those settings.

But then, wouldn't it possible so "doveadm user" shows those as well, like
lmtp/pop3/imap can resolve those too?

If I interpret "doveadm user"'s goal wrong (it's just for userdb/passdb
query tool nothing more), is there any tool which works in this config,
displaying extra information (at least user's home), or should I create some
script which just repeats the functionality of dovecot's configured
mail_home resolution?

- -- Steffen Kaiser