On 18.02.2013, at 07:07, Timo Sirainen <t...@iki.fi> wrote:
> On 17.2.2013, at 22.04, Michael Grimm <trash...@odo.in-berlin.de> wrote:

>> First of all: whenever you referred to "hostname" in this thread you have
>> been using it as a synonym for the local part [1] of a FQDN, right?
>
> I mean what gethostname() function returns, which is what "hostname" command
> usually also returns. And yes, I think it's the local part always.

I am not familiar with the gethostname() function within FreeBSD, but the
"hostname" command normally returns your FQDN, if set. That has been the case
because I didn't configure my service jails with FQDNs, thus a "hostname"
couldn't return something else then the local hostname.

>> Given that all my interpretations of your statements are correct I do have
>> difficulties in understanding why a "generic communication between Dovecot
>> servers" should be limited to enforcing different local parts of all Dovecot
>> servers implied instead of different FQDN? That would make much more sense
>> regarding uniqueness in hostnames, IMHO. Two servers like
>> "dovecot.forget-about.it" and "dovecot.you-name.it" should be able to
>> communicate generically, again: IMHO.
>
> I think systems named those would belong to different clusters and wouldn't
> need to communicate with each others.

Well, now I do understand my misunderstanding: I did consider replication
between different clusters a "generic communication between Dovecot servers",
as well.

> I looked through the code. The hostname (without domain) are currently used
> for:
>
> * maildir filenames
> * temporary filenames
> * authentication challenge strings in some auth mechanisms
> * logging
>
> So I think the hostname uniqueness matters mainly when using a shared
> filesystem (e.g. NFS).

So, I'm confident that I may stick to identical local hostnames regarding both
servers of mine.

Thanks and with kind regards,
Michael