On 3/8/2013 12:31 AM, Steffen Kaiser wrote:

see
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11110245/inotify-fd-why-is-the-limit-per-user-id-and-not-per-process

Thanks. I actually had this increased previously - but for whatever reason my sysctl.d/60-inotify.conf didn't get applied last reboot.

I'm also fighting a netfilter issue - my connection tracking counters keep climbing. Don't know if this is in any way related.

Do you use NAT on the same machine? Or some intrusion detection system? When you get many short connections, esp. UDP ones, the connection tracker fills up easily.

Yes and Yes.  Could fail2ban be hurting more than it's helping?

--
Daniel