On 04/30/2013 08:05 AM, Angel L. Mateo wrote:
El 30/04/13 03:28, Tim Groeneveld escribió:

Hi Guys,

I am wondering about mail deduplication. I am looking into the
possibility
of seperating out all of the message bodies with multiple parts inside
mail
that is recived from `dovecot` and hashing them all.

The idea is that by hashing all of the parts inside the email, I will be
able to ensure that each part of the email will only be saved once.

This means that attachments & common parts of the body will only be
saved once inside the storage.

How achievable would this be with the current state of dovecot? Would it
even be worth doing?

     I asked the same question recently. As Timo responsed at
http://kevat.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2013-March/089072.html it seems
that this feature is production stable in recent versions of dovecot.

     And I think it is worth. My estimations (with just about 10 users
of my organization, they are no accurate) is that you can save more than
30% of total mail storage.

     To configure it you need to use options:

* mail_attachment_dir
* mail_attachement_min_size
* mail_attachment_fs
* mail_attachment_hash

Hello,

Is it just working or is it working in a optimal way? back in October 2011 we noticed that the deduplication wasn't working as well as we were expecting as some files weren't properly deduplicated (http://markmail.org/message/ymfdwng7un2mj26z). Timo did you ever hit that bug and got it fixed if there was anything to fix on your side?

Since we are very interrested in this feature I am very eager to hear about admins using it on a similar scale (around 80,000 mailboxes).

Thanks,

Arnaud

--
Arnaud Abélard (jabber: arnaud.abel...@univ-nantes.fr)
Administrateur Système - Responsable Services Web