Zitat von Charles Marcus <cmar...@media-brokers.com>:

On 2013-05-02 9:12 AM, lst_ho...@kwsoft.de <lst_ho...@kwsoft.de> wrote:
IMHO if you say "VM" than the filesystem inside the guest doesn't matter that much.

Well... my understanding is that things can break rather badly if you use reiserfs for the host, and then use reiserfs for one of the guests...

From my understanding this was because of the "repair" capabilities of reiserfs checkdisk which was able to mix up your host and guest fs. This was also only the case for VM Player and old Server eg. the Linux add-on Hypervisors.

So, if doing that can break things badly, I imagine you may not be totally correct that it 'doesn't matter'...

For ESXi with its own filesystem (vmfs) it still shouldn't matter that much. As said the basic task of the Hypervisor is to abstract the hardware used, so no chance for the guest OS to really optimize for the hardware used. Maybe its time for a generic Hypervisor guest fs...

Regards

Andreas