On 2013-05-10 4:41 AM, Stan Hoeppner <s...@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
On 5/9/2013 11:05 AM, Charles Marcus wrote:
This would be awesome, as we deal with a lot of large attachments, and
when people are working from home, it can take many many seconds (even a
minute or so for very large attachments depending on their internet
connection speed) to send, and then it has to do it all over again to
save to sent.

Charles have you looked into Thunderbird Filelink?

https://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/filelink-large-attachments

You can use a 3rd party service or your own WebDAV server.  Keeps large
attachments out of mailbox storage, doesn't save them to Sent Items,
moves the file over the wire only once.

Hi Stan,

Thanks for the idea, and yes, I'm aware of filelink. While the idea is nice, it wouldn't fulfill our needs. Our data must be kept private, and while there is the WebDAV extension, its functionality is very basic (files with the same name are overwritten silently, no support for expiring links, etc).

But anyway, I don't much like the idea of totally separating attachments from emails, it just feels off to me.

Thanks,

Charles