Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slus...@curecanti.org>:

It is concerning because RFC 4466 indicates that literal8's are allowed for both APPEND and MULTIAPPEND, which is essentially an extended APPEND. But RFC 4469 defines CATENATE TEXT as literal only:

RFC 4466:
   append-data     = literal / literal8 / append-data-ext

RFC 4469:
   append-data =/ "CATENATE" SP "(" cat-part *(SP cat-part) ")"
   cat-part = text-literal / url
   text-literal = "TEXT" SP literal

To me CATENATE =~ MULTIAPPEND - it is just another form of an extended APPEND. Not sure why it shouldn't be allowed there.

Answered my own question here - sure enough, it was an oversight:

http://osdir.com/ml/ietf.imapext/2006-03/msg00030.html

michael