Hello,

[...]
In higher dovecot versions INBOX seems to be a kind of protected foldername. dovecot is not offering this folder in folderlist. If i rename it, the folder is available again.
[...]
Is there an explaination for this behaviour?

The case-insensitive mailbox name INBOX is a special name reserved to
mean "the primary mailbox for this user on this server".  The
interpretation of all other names is implementation-dependent.

Its not about the INBOX itself in /var/mail, there are some clients like groupoffice which do their own foldermanagment and create a Folder INBOX on top-level in mailspace

Hiding user created folders with Name INBOX seems to be based on standard namespace config in 2.1.x
In dovecot 2.1.7 we have in global:

mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
namespace inbox {
 inbox = yes
}

This seems to be the default and leads to the problem that Folders with Name INBOX are hidden. Like suggested in http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Namespaces (Examples Mixed mbox and Maildir) i changed the standard namespace to:

namespace inbox {
 separator = /
 prefix = "#mbox/"
 location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
 inbox = yes
 hidden = yes
 list = no
}
namespace mbox {
 separator = /
 prefix =
 location = mbox:~/mail
}

Because we are using mbox, i have to set up the 2nd namespace again with "location = mbox:~/mail". This works and Folders with Name INBOX are shown again. This namespace configuration looks a bit strange to me, but works. Is this a recommend way to do this? I dont want to get surprised by other behaviour.

Thanks,
Hajo