Hi,

I would like to use Dovecot not only for virtual mboxes, but also for local users. In other words, I would like to use different "mail_location"s depending on "passdb" "passwd-file" versus "passwd". I need that as the smtp daemon I am using (david parsons' postoffice smtp server) serves both but is only able to process messages through procmail on local users. Here are the two mail_locations I would like to use:

mail_location: mbox:~/mail/:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
mail_location: mbox:/var/spool/virtual/%d/%n.imap:INBOX=/var/spool/virtual/%d/%n

depending on those passdb stanzas, respectively:

  passdb passwd-file {
        args = username_format=%n /etc/virtual/%d/passwd
  }

  passdb passwd {
  }

Any help would be appreciated.

Here's my Dovecot version and current working configuration for virtual users only:

# dovecot -n
dovecot -n
# 1.2.17: /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf
# OS: FreeBSD 8.3-RELEASE amd64  ufs
protocols: imap
ssl: no
disable_plaintext_auth: no
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
first_valid_uid: 6
first_valid_gid: 6
mail_location: mbox:/var/spool/virtual/%d/%n.imap:INBOX=/var/spool/virtual/%d/%n
imap_client_workarounds: tb-extra-mailbox-sep
auth default:
  user: mail
  passdb:
    driver: passwd-file
    args: username_format=%n /etc/virtual/%d/passwd
  userdb:
    driver: static
    args: uid=6 gid=6

I find that first_valid_uid and first_valid_gid don't look pretty but it seems mandatory for the standard 'mail' user and group ownerships to work on the virtual mbox files and folders. I created the user while the group already existed. If you have any advices on that too, I would be pleased.

Thanks
Pierre-Philipp