On 2013-09-17 10:39, Reindl Harald wrote:
Am 17.09.2013 16:32, schrieb Dan Langille:
*what* says "telnet your-server 143"
$ telnet imaps.unixathome.org 143
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN] Dovecot ready.

At present, I am using dovecot-1.2.17 on another server with a certificate from StartCom:

$ openssl s_client -connect nyi.unixathome.org:993 -quiet
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE AUTH=PLAIN] Dovecot ready.

The server which fails me is running 2.1.16 (was 2.2 before this morning)

$ openssl s_client -connect imaps.unixathome.org:993 -quiet
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE AUTH=PLAIN] Dovecot ready.

Somewhere, somehow, there is something vastly different and not working

you are making it hard to impossible to help you if you are mixing servers and their responses and port 993 will *never ever* show STARTTLS because it is IMAPS which enforces a encrypted connection and *not* STARTTLS where the
inital connection is unencrpyted by design

so *please* stay at *one* config, *one* machine and *one* port for debugging

if the machine in question announces STARTTLS on port 143 it should work
and that is why i asked if *a different client* than a iPhone is using
STARTTLS on *that* machine with *that config*

Oh I misunderstood. I thought you were suggesting I stop trying to get this to work,
give in, and *just use another email client*.  My apologies.

I was looking for another iPhone email client which was free and did iMap. I failed. I think I'll
just have to pay for one and try it.

I've run out of time just now.  I'll try again soon.

Thank you.

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org/