Hello list,

I hope you can help me!

My self-compiled dovecot 2.2.6 (and the two minor versions before, too) throws that errors:

Nov 28 18:29:00 mailserv dovecot: imap(mar...@example.com): Error: Transaction log /srv/vmail/example.com/martin/Maildir/dovecot.index.log: duplicate transaction log sequence (25) Nov 28 18:29:00 mailserv dovecot: imap(mar...@example.com): Error: /srv/vmail/example.com/martin/Maildir/dovecot.index log position went backwards (24,40 < 25,10028)

... and so on ... duplicate transaction log sequences and backwards gone log positions, and this always, when I use at least two IMAP clients at the same time (better: the two clients are online and logged in at the same time).

That happens only with one user (me ;-) ), the other about 15 users on this server are having no problems.

What I see: the clients are bothering each other, but I don't know, why.

I thought about the used reiserfs filesystem on the server, but there were no problems with 1.2 on the same server.

Some words about my client setup: I use Thunderbird and iPhone at the same time, and as a third client on the same Server there is a Thunderbird instance at my company, which runs parallel to the other two. Seems to be weired, but isn't really (IMHO ;-) ). Sometimes there are two TBs at the same mailbox, sometimes only the iPhone and a TB, sometimes all three.

This runs quite good for long time with dovecot 1.2 and 2.1.x (the last one at my company in a similary setup with more users and several clients at the same time).

Maybe there is an error by using "my" build configurations (I think, not)?

---- configures -------------------

./configure \
--prefix=/usr/local \
--with-sql \
--with-ssl \
--with-mysql

-----------------------------------

Here are my dovecot.conf (only the changes of defaults) - maybe there is a misconfiguration?

---- dovecot.conf -----------------

# 2.2.6: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.18-028stab101.1 x86_64 Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS reiserfs
auth_master_user_separator = *
auth_mechanisms = plain login
auth_socket_path = /usr/local/var/run/dovecot/auth-master
default_internal_user = vmail
default_login_user = vmail
dict {
  acl = mysql:/etc/dovecot/dovecot-dict-acl-sql.conf.ext
}
disable_plaintext_auth = no
imap_capability = +NAMESPACE
imap_client_workarounds = delay-newmail tb-lsub-flags tb-lsub-flags tb-extra-mailbox-sep
listen = *
log_timestamp = "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S "
login_log_format_elements = user=<%u> method=%m rip=%r lip=%l %c
mail_access_groups = vmail
mail_location = maildir:/srv/vmail/%d/%n/Maildir
mail_privileged_group = vmail
mail_uid = vmail
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify environment mailbox date ihave imapflags notify
namespace {
  list = yes
  location = maildir:%%Lh/Maildir/:INDEX=%%Lh/shared-idx/%%u
  prefix = shared/%%u/
  separator = /
  subscriptions = no
  type = shared
}
namespace {
  hidden = no
  list = yes
  location = maildir:/srv/vmail/public
  prefix = public/
  separator = /
  subscriptions = no
  type = public
}
namespace inbox {
  hidden = no
  inbox = yes
  list = yes
  location =
  mailbox Drafts {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = \Drafts
  }
  mailbox Junk {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = \Junk
  }
  mailbox Sent {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox "Sent Messages" {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox Spam {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = \Junk
  }
  mailbox Trash {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = \Trash
  }
  prefix =
  separator = /
  subscriptions = yes
  type = private
}
passdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
  driver = sql
}
plugin {
  acl = vfile
  acl_shared_dict = proxy::acl
  autocreate = Trash
  autocreate2 = Spam
  autocreate3 = Sent
  autocreate4 = Drafts
  autosubscribe = Trash
  autosubscribe2 = Spam
  autosubscribe3 = Sent
  autosubscribe4 = Drafts
  sieve = ~/.dovecot.sieve
  sieve_after = /srv/vmail/sieve/after.sieve
  sieve_before = /srv/vmail/sieve/before.sieve
  sieve_dir = ~/sieve
  sieve_extensions = +notify +imapflags
  sieve_global_dir = /srv/vmail/sieve
  sieve_global_path = /srv/vmail/sieve/globalsieverc
}
pop3_client_workarounds = outlook-no-nuls oe-ns-eoh
postmaster_address = postmaster@%d
protocols = imap pop3
quota_full_tempfail = yes
service auth {
    group = postfix
    mode = 0660
    user = postfix
  }
  unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-auth {
    group = postfix
    mode = 0660
    user = postfix
  }
  unix_listener auth-master {
    group = vmail
    mode = 0600
    user = vmail
  }
  unix_listener auth-userdb {
    group = vmail
    mode = 0600
    user = vmail
  }
}
service dict {
  unix_listener dict {
    group = vmail
    mode = 0660
    user = vmail
  }
}
service imap-login {
  inet_listener imaps {
    port = 993
    ssl = yes
  }
}
service imap {
  process_limit = 2048
  vsz_limit = 256 M
}
service managesieve-login {
  inet_listener sieve {
    port = 4190
  }
  inet_listener sieve_deprecated {
    port = 2000
  }
}
service pop3-login {
  inet_listener pop3 {
    port = 110
  }
}
ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem
ssl_cipher_list = ALL:!LOW:!SSLv2:ALL:!aNULL:!ADH:!eNULL:!EXP:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM
ssl_key = </etc/ssl/private/dovecot.pem
userdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
  driver = sql
}
protocol lda {
  mail_plugins = " sieve"
}
protocol imap {
  mail_plugins = acl imap_acl
}
protocol sieve {
  managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify environment mailbox date ihave imapflags
}

local 1.2.3.4 {
  ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem
  ssl_key = </etc/ssl/private/dovecot.pem
}

Thank you very much for your time and help!

Greetings,
   Martin