On 2013-12-13 01:10, Joseph Tam wrote:
Alan McGinlay wrote:

Can't believe I'm the only one with this error, googled it and there is
nothing. Sorry to whine but I am getting desperate here!

I googled "safe_mkstemp permission denied" and first hit is this thread

        dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2010-August/052319.html

Hah! thank you so much, I have been pretty stressed the past week or so and of course I googled it, my brain must have been mushed however :)

which mentions this error coming about from chrooting users. Looking back
on your post, I see

        http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2013-December/093900.html

        mail_chroot = /var/vmail

It makes immediate sense when you mention the chroot! Annoying that dsync and the chroot wont work together however

As long as your desperate, maybe try leaving this setting empty?

Yep, this worked once I changed the maildir location to include /var/vmail

(This doesn't explain why it's not deterministic though.)   Try
process traces -- I do when I'm stumped.

Joseph Tam <jtam.h...@gmail.com>

Thanks! This is a really helpful mailing list!