Quoting Aleve Sicofante <asicofa...@gmail.com>:

 I'm talking about this: http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Plugins/Virtual

Every client can take advantage of them.  From a client's perspective,
they are just another IMAP mailbox.

Of course any client would be able to "see" them once created somewhere
else. The point is obviously finding a client capable of creating such
virtual mailboxes from searches, labels, etc.

You are misinterpreting what the Dovecot virtual plugin does. It allows an admin to create virtual mailboxes. It does not provide a client with any ability to alter edit/those mailboxes.

We've had virtual mailboxes in our client for 10+ years (i.e. client displays a "fake" mailbox that is generated via server-side search actions). That's the only 100% reliable way to implement this across IMAP servers.

RFC 5466 can be used for this on the IMAP side, but there's not really any server-side support for it so it is not a viable option at this time.

michael