It's an interesting issue.  In my experience "stale" passwords are rarely used
to compromise systems.  However, passwords tend to end up on sticky notes and
even worse, in email databases regardless.  As far as compromised email
passwords, they seem to mostly come from infected clients and insecure public
logins as far as I can tell.  A server can control the later, but not the
former.

I know of a major accounting software that forces Admin users to change their
passwords every few months under certain circumstances.  Those passwords always
end up in emails to fellow users, so in that case forcing people to change
seems to be definitely counterproductive.

IMV the moral of the story is that you can't crypt your way into a 100% secure
world.  You need other forms of checks & reconciliations that are disjoint from
purely cryptographic infrastructure.  For instance ask Mt. Gox and Bitcoin if
they agree in hindsight, and Heartbleed is a very good example of this concept.

Thanks,

Jake