On 1.7.2014 15:55, Leonardo Rodrigues wrote:
Em 01/07/14 10:06, Eliezer Croitoru escreveu:
On 07/01/2014 03:06 PM, Jiri Bourek wrote:

That really depends, rebuilding indexes can increase your downtime for
hours, so it may be better to pay a bit for extra storage space instead
of not being paid at all by your customers.
Building the index as far as I remember doesn't cost in downtime but
in higher I/O usage which slows down the server.

     That's my knowledge as well. Rebuilt of indexes are done on-the-fly
when the account is accessed and, thus, there's no downtime involved on
that.

     Of course, with lots of big accounts and lots of initial accesses
on the scenario where ALL accounts were restored without indexes, the
I/O increase can be so high that the server will be basically
unresponsive. That can happen for sure.

Exactly my point. I saw that happen once and the slowdown effectively became a downtime.

     But on the more common case, which will be restoring just a few
accounts, that I/O increase will probably be unnoticable.