Hi Richard,

You can use one or more instances of Dovecot on the same machine, as you can see here (http://wiki2.dovecot.org/RunningDovecot) "Running Multiple Invocations of Dovecot".

The problem with DNS round-robind is that if you server goes down, DNS continues resolving for it. I would recommend use some balancer like LVS+keepalived.

Consider that multi layer solution:
--------------------            --------------------
| LVS + keepalived |            | LVS + keepalived |
--------------------            --------------------
         |                                |
  --------------                   --------------
  | Director 1 |                   | Director 2 |
  --------------                   --------------
         |                                |
 | IMAP/POP/LMTP |               | IMAP/POP/LMTP |
 |    Backend    |               |    Backend    |

Remember, directors and backends could run on the same machine. I have a lab running that way. Maybe I can help you deploy.