Am 21.10.2014 um 14:40 schrieb Brian:
At my company we've had a longstanding problem of not being able to send
email from devices outside of our internal network and any specific IP
address that we open the relay to. As it turns out, SASL has never been
set up. I need to set up SASL ASAP but none of the guides I've found
seem to work.
This is the latest guide I tried:
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/HowTo/PostfixAndDovecotSASL
I did everything on here minus the last part because it's on the same
server.

don't pretend - "postconf -n" and "dovecot -n"

# dovecot
service auth {
  mode  = 0660
  user  = postfix
  group = postfix
 }
}

# postfix
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
smtpd_sasl_path  = private/auth

Also, instead of
submission inet n - - - - smtpd
I did:
127.0.0.1:1025 inet n - - - - smtpd

that is complete nonsense

* 1025 is not a standard port
* the port only listens on localhost
* no way to connect from outside

After all is done, however, I'm unable to send any mail. Thunderbird
just says sending message but doesn't send and I don't even get an
error. I end up having to disable SASL again before I can send mail.

because most likely 1025 is not opened in the firewall and even if since you misconfigured the server it could not connect

Dovecot version 2.0.9
Postfix version 2.6.6
CentOS 6
I have Postfix, Dovecot, and ASSP on the same server