Am 21.10.2014 um 23:28 schrieb Cliff Hayes:
Does dovecot have any dictionary attack defenses yet?
In the past I have had to implement defense from outside dovecot, but
since dovecot is at the front lines and therefore is the first to know
I'm hoping by now there is something we can set.  For example, a limit
on access failures per minut/hour/day or some such.  If not why not?

no - but you can set "auth_failure_delay = 5" and limit new connections per IP to something around 40 per 5 minutes and 100 per 30 minutes which stops many of them or at least limit the amount of tries dramatically