Hello Ron,

On 14/11/2014 15:15, Ron Leach wrote:

Does this example mean that LMTP will only listen for input messages from the interface with IP address 192.168.0.24 (plus localhost)? If so, I probably haven't understood how LMTP is intended to work. Is there a reason why we want to limit LMTP to listening for messages from a specific IP on the network? I need to understand that so that I replace ...24 with a suitable host interface that exists on our LAN (we don't have a host at 192.168.0.24).

No, it *listens* on that addresses (port 24)
LMTP is intended for local mail transfer.
The best way to use it, if dovecot LDA and MTA are on the same machine, is to use a unix socket like this (example for postfix):

service lmtp {
  unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-lmtp {
        group = postfix
        mode = 0600
        user = postfix
 }

if you prefer to use an inet listener, do it only for the needed addresses (not public / internet faced ones) or reject unauthorized networks.

-FM