Sascha wrote:
Hello,

i use doevecot 2.2.18 current. My Problem is with email-extension and
case sensitiv folders.
I've had similar problems.  As I run Win-7 against a Samba-linux server.
Win-7 does case-preserving+case-ignore -- samba does case Mangling -- it seems to uppercase machine names & lowercase user names... causes alot of chaos....

I'm only 1-user, so I changed my /etc/passwd file to have 2-3 names for
each   user-id I wanted to show up:
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
Bliss\root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
BLISS\root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

At times/over the years, I've had Samba give me each variation at least
once. But it's not just samba... different brands of 'ssh' will pass
different things -- some just 'user', some Domain\User, some Domain/User(cygwin). Since most of my personal users are all lower
case, they don't usually need special attention, but in home directories
under 'Bliss', have a symlink BLISS->Bliss.  On some shares also needed
another symlink bliss->Bliss.  (ARRGGGG)...(BTW - Bliss was meant as
"irony"... so symlinks might help but will look ugly)...it can get
worse -- in user/group names, sometimes spaces are removed..
'Power Users' => powerusers...... ARG!!!....

But when I've talked to dovecot... I always have just needed the
user name (no Domain)... Maybe your email software has some setting
to tell it to "play nice"?....

Sorry for the "bad idea for large-scale implementation, but it was
easiest to do for a few users..(home network)...

BTW... some file systems are moving toward ignoring case...
xfs has had a case-ignore option but only works in ascii range.
Heard apple' implemented case-preserve+ignore on theirs,
and seem to remember reading somthing about Solaris(Sun/Oracle)'
ZFS getting a case-ignore+preserve option.

Good luck!

Example:
user+extenstion will be delivered to the user and subfolder extenstion
so this is okay.
but user+extenstion will not be delivert to the user and exiting
subfolder Extenstion so that is not okay.
The mail will be also delivered in the subfolder extension. The exiting
Folder Extension will not used.

Give's a way to tell dovecot, use the extension as a Folder, if a
exiting folder with Upper/Lower Cases will be detect and use the right
folder to delivery?

 -- Regards Sascha

---