Hi, my setup is a dovecot 2.0.19 IMAP server on Ubuntu Precise with the antispam plugin in version 2.0+20120225-2 and spamassassin at version 3.2.2

I have been trying and failed to get the pipe backend of the antispam plugin to work. Spamassin by itself works, a manual call of sa-learn works fine. Bayes data is stored in a mysql DB.

I have the following configuration in /etc/dovecot/conf.d/90-plugin.conf

plugin {
  #setting_name = value
  sieve=~/.dovecot.sieve
  sieve_dir=~/sieve
    antispam_pipe_program_spam_arg = --spam
    antispam_pipe_program_notspam_arg  = --ham
    antispam_pipe_program = /usr/local/bin/sa-learn-pipe.sh
antispam_pipe_program_args = --username=%u # % expansion done by dovecot
    antispam_trash = trash;Trash;Deleted Items;Deleted Messages
    antispam_spam = SPAM;Junk
    antispam_backend = pipe
    antispam_verbose_debug = 1
    antispam_debug_target = syslog
    antispam_pipe_tmpdir = /tmp
}

I have tried the following wrapper script:
#!/bin/bash
# set -x
LOGFILE=/tmp/sa-learn-pipe.log
echo "$$-start ($*)" >> $LOGFILE
#echo $* > /tmp/sendmail-parms.txt
cat<&0 >> /tmp/sendmail-msg-$$.txt
/usr/bin/sa-learn $* -D /tmp/sendmail-msg-$$.txt >> $LOGFILE 2>&1 && \
rm -f /tmp/sendmail-msg-$$.txt
echo "$$-end" >> $LOGFILE
exit 0

It somehow isn't working. I can call the wrapper script manually e.g.
sudo -u vmail /usr/local/bin/sa-learn-pipe.sh --username=s...@mail.user --ham \
< someham

But it doesn't work from dovecot. It seems the script is called. but no new patterns show up in the bayes DB. Unfortunately, the plugin seems to be documented poorly. How does it call the programme it pipes to? Is it something like $programme --par1 --par2 < message ? Why can't / shouldn't I call sa-learn directly? All the instructions I found on the in internet contained a wrapper script, but none bothered to explain why you would actually need it.

I would be very grateful, if someone could enlighten me on that...

Cheers,

Johannes