On 28-06-16 23:17, Timo Sirainen wrote:
On 28 Jun 2016, at 10:55, bvr <b...@dds.nl> wrote:

Hello,

We are using dovecot (2.2.10) and it's working great! When I enable chrooting
by appending /./ to the homedirs I'm getting errors like this:

mail1 dovecot[47074]: imap(user): Error: Temp file creation to
/tmp/dovecot.imap.mail1.70079. failed: No such file or directory

On the surface everything seems to be working fine and I have not been able to
produce the error myself.

Sometimes Dovecot wants to create temporary files to avoid excessive memory
usage. If it can't create the temp file it'll just keep the temporary data in
memory. You can control the temporary file location with mail_temp_dir setting.
But maybe the nicest solution would be to just create tmp/ director to
everybody's home dir? I guess Dovecot could do this also automatically if it
has permissions, but I'm not entirely sure if that's a good idea.

So you are saying it is expected behaviour for Dovecot to use mail_temp_dir within the mail_chroot? That makes sense but it surprises me there are so few results when I google the error message.

Since we are using Maildir I suppose I could simply use mail_temp_dir=/Maildir/tmp

Thanks,
bvr.