Am 17.07.2016 um 02:36 schrieb Mark Foley:
Not quite there yet. The folders show up, but I cannot see the mail inside the
folders unless
(in the Thunderbird client) I uncheck the setting "Show only subscribed
folders". Still, the
top-level folder is shown as grayed-out/italics as well as the the sub-folder
INBOX. All other
sub-folder at the same level as INBOX are not grayed-out, nor are folders
subordinate to INBOX:

u...@mydom.org <-- topmost "real" account folder
   +Inbox
   Drafts
   Templates
   send Items
   Junk E-mail
   Deleted Items
   +bpatterson   <-- added Maildir folders from former user, grayed-out, italics
     +INBOX      <-- grayed out, italic
       Payabled  <-- not grayed
       Health Care  <-- not grayed
       :
       :
     Sent           <-- not grayed
     Sent Items     <-- not grayed
     Templates      <-- not grayed
     Trash          <-- not grayed

Mozilla has a reference to this phenomenon
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Grey_italic_folders, but
this seems to have to do with GMAIL accounts. Mine is a local IMAP server and
the link has no
apparent remedy.

Furthermore, if I attempt to delete e.g. "Trash" I get an error, presumably from
Dovecot: "The
current command did not succeed. The mail server for account u...@mydom.org
responded:
[ALREADYEXISTS] Target mailbox already exists." Seem like an odd error when
trying to delete.

My theory is that if I can designated these folders as 'subcribed' everything
would work
normally. I don't know if that's true. I've tried added these folders to the
'subscriptions'
file in the user's Maildir folder, an excerpt of which:

INBOX.Directed Brokerage
INBOX.Directed Brokerage.Abel Noser
INBOX.Investments-Active.Kayne
INBOX.Pending - Open Projects
Deleted Items.Oath
INBOX.Board Info.New Trustee-Oath of Office
INBOX.Rule Filing-Rule Changes
bpatterson.INBOX.2011 Investment Confirmation Responses
bpatterson.INBOX.2011 and 2012 KCR Audit
bpatterson.INBOX.2012 Investment Confirmation Responses
bpatterson.INBOX.2013 Health Care Changes - Information
bpatterson.INBOX.2013 Investment Confirmation Responses

where the 1st 7 listed are part of the user's existing list and the next ones
are what I added
for the former user's mail folders. This did not work.

Ideas?

--Mark
Hi Mark,

Try to subscribe in thundebird via your accounts right click context menu.
The greyed out folders may not contain mails (missing .cur etc. suubfolders). Sometimes it is neccessary to clean the ImapMail folder in the thunderbird user profile (as an last resort).

achim~