Robert,

First, thanks!

Second, I'm not a committer on the dovecot project. But I've written a lot of
software where if an end user has a problem and either they want to know why or
if they report it and ask for help, I've found it is MUCH better to have enough
info in the message given to the user/logged somewhere. Something like:

"subroutine: open(%s) failed: %m"

It reduces our support load and gives us the information we need to quickly
resolve issues.

Sent from my iPhone - please excuse brevity and typos