A long shot, but here's how I experienced similar symptoms:
http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2016-April/104091.html

Kamil Madac wrote on 08/23/2016 02:02 PM:
Hi,

One of my email accounts has 1,5gb of emails in INBOX, but maildirsize
shows only 528mb. 'du' also shows 1,5gb and there are 3809 files in cur
directory.

When I use  mailbox status a can see correct values:

doveadm -f table mailbox status -u u...@domain.sk "messages vsize" INBOX*
  messages
vsize

INBOX   3809     1521049349

but when I check the quotas with doveadm:

doveadm quota get -u u...@domain.sk
Quota name Type     Value
Limit
%
User quota STORAGE 541391
2048000
26
User quota MESSAGE    886
-
0

I tried to delete maildirsize, but it was recalculated again incorrectly.

2097152000S
554384829 886

Dovecot version is 2.2.9 installed from packages on Ubuntu 14.04
I have other accounts on server which are have no problems with maildirsize
and quotas. Does anyone have same experience?

Kamil