Hi —

I recently extendend my IPsec tunnel between two mail servers to deal with IPv4
addresses in addition to IPv6 ones. (No specific reason for that.)
I ran into an issue worth reporting. This is Dovecot v2.2.27 (c0f36b0) at
FreeBSD STABLE-11.

Previously:

        dovecot.conf:
                plugin {
                        mail_replica = tcp:remote.test
                }
                service doveadm {
                inet_listener {
                        address = [::]
                        }
                }

        | local> host remote.test:
        remote.test has IPv6 address fd00:b::1

        working well.

Currently:

        dovecot.conf:
                plugin {
                        mail_replica = tcp:remote.test
                }
                service doveadm {
                inet_listener {
                        address = *
                        }
                }

        | local> host remote.test:
        remote.test has address 10.2.0.1
        remote.test has IPv6 address fd00:b::1

Now, Replication stops and throws an error like:

        | <mail.crit> local.test dovecot: doveadm(user): Fatal:
connect(fd00:b::1:12345) failed: Connection refused

If I either

        #) remove IPv6 from my lokal DNS,
        #) use "mail_replica = tcp:10.2.0.1", or
        #) define the appropriate IPv4 address of remote.test in /etc/hosts,

then replication works as usual.

Hmm, shouldn't doveadm be more persistent in using every IP address of that
entry of mail_replica *before* throwing a "Fatal:" error?
Or do I miss something, and it's a feature, instead?

Regards,
Michael