On 03/17/2017 12:07 AM, Doug Barton wrote:
Doug,

On 03/16/2017 11:23 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
Your pattern seems a little too complicated. See below.

I acquired this script from:

http://www.campworld.net/thewiki/pmwiki.php/LinuxServersCentOS/Cent6VirtMailServer

No telling where he got it from.  So I greatly appreciate any and all
advice.

Blindly following things you find on the Internet is not a path to success. :)

That is why I am here asking questions. Like I have done on the postfix, apache, openssl, amavis, and roundcubemail lists (and of course centos, centos-arm, and fedora). With BIND, I just sit down with Mark at IETF meetings :) Going to be doing that with Rich and openssl, as I want to start working with EDDSA certs, as does he.

I am writing my own howto, and I would like to think I am doing a better
job of it.

You may consider whether your own depth of understanding is sufficient to improve the situation, or whether you are simply adding more noise. I wish you luck in any case.

Lots of the examples out there say, "use this conf file rather than the one in the package". I learned with postfix NOT to do that, but to use their postconf tool. So I have been brushing up on my SED skills to write SED commands to make the desired changes to the provided files. Once I test out the dovecot conf mods that they are working as I want I will post them here.

Not completely.  I 'program' in English writing standards like IEEE
802.1AR, 802.15.9, and RFCs.  I have not really programmed since the
mid-80s with 'B'.

I leave the converting of our carefully worded standards to executables
to others.... :)

We all have our own areas of expertise. Nothing wrong with that.

I once knew some AWK (back around '93 on SunOS), but that skill is long gone, and SED is not so hard to learn. Lots of guidance if you google a bit. Then test, test, test!

That said, is this what you are advising:

Not precisely. You want to remove the 'else' in there, as the clause you have will do the opposite of what you intend.

I thought so, but was not sure what you were advising me. Yet another reason to post a reply, "do I got it now", "no you don't" ;)

Also note that I removed your superfluous square brackets.

require "fileinto";
  if header :contains "X-Spam-Flag" "YES" {
    fileinto "Spam";
  }
  if header :contains "subject" "***SPAM***" {
    fileinto "Spam";
  }

Thanks

The best way to work with this is to start with simple rules on an individual client. Once you get a rule set that works, then you can move on to compiling it for the system. Always start as simple as possible though, and only add to it if your simple thing does not work.

This is a pretty good tutorial on the syntax and options for Sieve. Given your intended purpose you should pay special attention to the 'create' modifier for 'fileinto'. Also, I would accomplish both things in the same rule using 'anyof' which should be slightly more efficient (which could make a big difference to server load depending on how many users you are supporting).

Particularly since this is a duo core armv7 (CubieTruck) that I am working with. I would really want to get one of the newer quad cores, so that amavis/clamav/spamassin could eat up 2 of them, and still have 2 left for postfix, dovecot, and other processes. I don't like the armv8 so far as they are 12V and ready power supplies just aren't out there like 5V for the armv7; plus they are still pricey. But armv8 is 64bit...

See:

http://medon.htt-consult.com/images/cubietower-3.JPG

medon is the top server.  It is a simple web server running Centos7-arm:

http://medon.htt-consult.com/Centos7-armv7.html

onlo is the bottom one, and it is my DNS outward master server.

ROI replacing a bunch of intel SFFs like the one on the left was 18 months on power savings.

https://support.tigertech.net/sieve

hope this helps,

Yes it does.  I have been reading a lot, recently!

Bob