micah <mi...@riseup.net> wrote:

Now, about 50 users have a problem where their indexes are
corrupted. Dovecot tries to fix them, but for some reason it is
failing. The users are seeing their mails duplicated and they cannot
delete mails. I can see in the logs dovecot detecting this and trying to
rebuild operations during delivery and imap login, but its repeating
over and over and over. For one user, I've seen more than 4k lines in
the logs about this.

If i try to do doveadm force-resync -u username INBOX

I get this:

doveadm(nuffsaid): Warning: mdbox /n/nuffsaid/mdbox/storage: Inconsistency in
map index (3494,32332 != 3494,383536)

I think mdbox is sensitive to index corruption.  mbox/maildir indices can be
rebuilt, but data loss can result if mdbox indices are corrupted:

        https://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/dbox

"Grubert, Gordon" <gordon.grubert+li...@uni-greifswald.de> then writes:

we had the same problem after a system failure. Our problem could be
solved by

rm /PATH/USER/mdbox/storage/dovecot.map.index*
doveadm -D -v force-resync -u USER INBOX

Not sure given the above URL whether this will solve your problem of make it
far worse.  Better back up what you have before trying anything.

Joseph Tam <jtam.h...@gmail.com>