On 2018-01-02 17:21, tony wrote:
On 2018-01-02 16:37, tony wrote:
On 2018-01-01 17:26, Peter wrote:
On 02/01/18 14:07, Stephan Bosch wrote:
I can see 21:21:38 is when the below errors showed up with the above
21:21:38 timestamps:

Dec 29 21:21:38
lmtp(recipi...@domain.net)<17187><UA2fMEQiR1ojQwAAUXb6+w>: Error:
program `/usr/sbin/sendmail' was forcibly terminated with signal 15
Dec 29 21:21:38
lmtp(recipi...@domain.net)<17187><UA2fMEQiR1ojQwAAUXb6+w>: Error:
sieve: msgid=<470c210f-bd19-f63f-45ed-bfef59322be9@domain.email>:
failed to send vacation response to sender@domain.email: <Failed to
execute sendmail> (temporary error)
Dec 29 21:21:38 lmtp: Error: postdrop: warning: mail_queue_enter:
create file maildrop/868503.17337: Permission denied

It still isn't really clear to me why this is going on.

I am wondering what that sendmail process is doing.

As you can see, Dovecot waits for it to finish for 30 seconds (override
with submission_timeout setting).

Can you try invoking sendmail manually from command line? Does it work?
Is it hanging for more than 30s?

I think the real error here is the postdrop one (sendmail is a wrapper
around postdrop).  It's a permission denied error which leads me to
believe it may be an selinux (or similar) issue.  I wouldn't be
surprised if sendmail works from the command line but fails when
executed from sieve because selinux has it blocked for sieve.

If you're running selinux or apparmour or similar, check your logs for
that (audit log for selinux) and look for denials.  You cna also try
setting selinux to permissive and trying the operation (setenforce 0).

Peter

I am wondering what that sendmail process is doing.

As you can see, Dovecot waits for it to finish for 30 seconds (override
with submission_timeout setting).

Can you try invoking sendmail manually from command line? Does it work?
Is it hanging for more than 30s?

Regards,

Stephan.

Thanks for the responses. Running sendmail from the command line is
successful, which strikes me as odd. So it is only failing when
sendmail is invoked from sieve, but I don't yet understand why. I
haven't made any recent significant changes to the mail environment. I
haven't updated from postfix 3.2.4-2 since 12-16-17 when my
distribution released the packaged updated, but I didn't notice the
issue at that time until around 12-27 when I started getting emails
about the reported permission denied error and sendmail timeout.

Apologies for sending too early. I meant to hit save and not sent. I
wanted to point out that I am not using SELinux or AppArmor. The hosts
just use some iptables rules, but traffic is permitted to and from
these hosts, so I don't think that is the issue. There are several
places that talk about correcting permissions, but when I verify the
permissions on /var/lib/postfix everything is as it should be.

postfix set-permissions
postfix check

The above results in no output reporting any problems. I enabled sieve
tracing but did not see anything that stood out apart from the usual
reported errors. If I invoke sendmail from the vmail user I am able to
send no problem. It doesn't make sense why sieve in general not
related to Vacation auto-replies works fine, but auto-replies do not.

-
TC

I downgraded dovecot to 2.2.33.2 and pigeonhole 0.4.21 and can confirm the reported problem does not exist with "permission denied" and sendmail getting hung up/timing out.

-
Cheers,
TC