Sami is correct.  imapsync loses data.

Source -> imapsync -> destination : the mailboxes are different to an IMAP
client
Source -> dsync -> destination (running Dovecot w/doveadm): the mailboxes are
the same

You may not care that your users w/100,000 message mailboxes that have been
cached on their client now have to invalidate that entire cache (and most
likely re-download all of those messages).

So there is zero argument that, due to IMAP metadata loss, this is something
that doesn't happen if dsync (or rsync) is used.

michael