I tell users to limit the folder characters to /0-9a-zA-Z_/, because anything
else may upset a mail client or server.

As I have no control over their minds, hands, and client software, I wish I
could enforce the policy from the server, returning an error message to the
client.

On its turn, this requires the client to listen to such server messages,
operated by a smarter user.

At the end of the day, it feels like we are re-discovering the wheel, as such
problems should have been addressed and solved long ago by an RFC.

Listescape is a welcome patch. Let see if it works. I just have to select a
character that no user could type and still practical for the filesystem to
use...