From: dovecot [mailto:dovecot-boun...@dovecot.org] On Behalf Of Håkon Alstadheim
Sent: 16 November 2018 04:05
To: dovecot@dovecot.org
Subject: Re: Mail slowed down to a crawl...

Den 15.11.2018 21:00, skrev StarionTech (IMAP):
> Been moving along just fine for a couple years now, then in the last two
> days, email has slowed to a crawl.
>
> Retrieving email via IMAP is very slow, progress bar in the mail client shows
> that it is downloading messages almost constantly, like it never closes the
> connection, or it’s getting the messages very slowly.  The server that
> dovecot/postfix is on has also bogged down to a crawl.
>
> The postfix queue is sitting with hundreds of queued up good customer email.
>
> It’s almost acting like dovecot is not getting the messages from postfix, or
> they’re being delayed for some reason.
>
> How to approach fixing this?

Check server logs for errors. Both dovecot and postfix struggling
suggest some common underlying cause.

Do measurements  on Cpu, disk, cpu-wait. Which process is hogging the
server ?  Spam-ass acting up? Drives filling up?

Gut instinct says one or more of your drives are failing, or you have
file or file-system corruption, so if you are not running smartd, first
priority is installing smartd/smartmontools and see what falls out.

---